I feel bad even saying this, but summer wears me out. Am I the only one?
I get run down, irritable, and overwhelmed every single time I am about halfway through summer. I’m just tired!
Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy all that summer embodies: swimming, festivals, being outdoors in the sunshine, spending time with friends and family, fireworks and cookouts. But here is the deal - the rest of life doesn’t stop for the fun. There are more hours of daylight and it seems like more time to get things done, but it seems like my schedule is so full, and consequently we are left feeling run down and ragged.
I had a conversation with a friend about this before summer even rolled around. Knowing how I fall out of balance, I wanted to be intentional about staying grounded and keeping my cool. Yet here I sit as I type, sick with a summer cold, overwhelmed because I don’t have enough time to get everything done on my to do list, and feeling guilty because I think I should be dropping everything to spend every free second I have with my kiddo.
If you struggle like me, here are some tips to stay healthy and grounded for the remainder of this beautiful and glorious summer:
1. Follow a schedule. We may be adults, but we aren’t all that much different from toddlers – we just have more responsibility. But just like little ones, we need routine to stay balanced!
· Try to exercise before 10 am. It’s cooler and your body likes it better.
· Eat your biggest meal of the day around noon, when your digestion is at it’s peak.
· Watch for your energy drop around 2 pm, and instead of reaching for the caffeine, either rest or walk in nature.
· Around 6 is a good time to connect with friends and family, to let go of the to do lists and just to enjoy life.
2. Give yourself some grace. Our Wild Souls Yoga theme of the summer is all about forgiveness, and this includes yourself. If you are like me, and are constantly striving for perfection, let it go and forgive yourself for not being superwoman. Start by making a list everyday that includes:
· Things that have to get done. These are the daily to do’s of life, like work and household chores.